Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dissertation Preface to Unflattening

(Note - I have moved this site over to www.spinweaveandcut.com. All new material, information about Unflattening, as well as past archives will be over there. Please join me over there! Thanks - N)

My dissertation proposal was handed in this week and defense is around the corner. I prepared this preface for it - which gives a hint at where i'm heading with the dissertation itself, "a visual-verbal inquiry into curiosity" - that is a comics narrative as academic dissertation. In starting this with a nearly all verbal approach, i set up the final definition on page 4 - pointing to the inadequacy of this approach. The page following, when it comes, will thus launch forth in full comics fashion. (And likely i'll reference Alice, saying, "what is the use of a book ... without pictures or conversations?") Look for excerpts from the dissertation in progress in the year ahead (and other comics as well of course!). - Nick 

(Note: this piece didn't actually appear in the dissertation - only in my proposal. To see excerpts, go here. - N)




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to it, Nick.

nsousanis said...

Thanks, Peter, me too!

Unknown said...

I am impressed, keep it coming...

Harrigan said...

Nick, this is AWESOME!!! I can't wait to read the whole thing! Speaking of unflattening a grilled cheese...what a way to start! It's never JUST a grilled cheese, I agree. We would be neglecting the hundreds of approaches to cheese combined with an equally-diverse opportunities with bread, never mind the sauces and oils and veggie additions! No, but seriously, a GREAT approach to draw me in and hook me!

nsousanis said...

Thanks, Harrigan. It's true - especially with you making the grilled cheese, that would be awesome!! Not sure if this piece will make it as is into the dissertation, but the story will for sure. Thanks, Nick